ACID: ALKALINE IMBALANCE
Do you ever experience any of these symptoms?
Ready for it? Low energy, chronic fatigue, slow digestion and constipation, weight gain, acne, aching muscles and lactic acid buildup, yeast/fungal overgrowth, hormone imbalances, immune deficiency, brittle nails, loss of hair, frequent coughs and colds, PMS, mood disorders, athletes foot, low sex drive, dizziness, cardiovascular complications? Then did you know that you could in fact be too acidic?
What is the Acid: Alkaline Ratio?
Your body has an acid-alkaline (or acid-base) ratio called the pH which is a balance between positively charges ions (acid-forming) and negatively charged ions (alkaline-forming).
Your body continually strives to maintain a narrow pH balance in your blood between 7.3 – 7.45 to prevent death.
It is always healthier to be slightly more alkaline, as being at the acid end of the range can have many detrimental effects on your health, as explained in that long list of symptoms above!
What happens to your body when it becomes too acidic? Bicarbonate (alkaline substance) in your blood decreases and your body is forced to borrow your alkalising mineral troops — calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium—from vital organs and bones to buffer (neutralise) the acid and safely remove it from your body.
It’s the depletion of these minerals that cause the symptoms of metabolic acidosis (when the pH of your body becomes lower or more acidic than 7.35-7.45). You also need these health giving minerals for so many other important functions in your body so we want some left in the bank!
The natural ratio of alkaline: acid in a normal healthy body is approximately 4:1 or 80% to 20%. When such an ideal ratio is maintained, the body has strong resistance to stress and illness.
What are the 10 benefits of being more alkaline?
1. You feel calmer as your stress and mineral levels are balanced.
2. You body detoxifies more efficiently.
3. You feel loads more energy and lose excess weight more effortlessly.
4. Your digestive health improves as do the populations of good bacteria in your gut.
5. Your gut lining and immunity gets stronger.
6. Your libido increases.
7. Your skin starts glowing.
8. Your hair and nails become stronger.
9. Your level of health is enhanced in every area of your life.
10. Your vitality and radiance sky rockets.
Did You Know Our Ancestors Were Naturally More Alkaline?
Most of today’s health problems stem not only from stress and toxicity, but also from the deficiency of potassium alkali (bicarbonate) salts in today’s food (and beverages), compared to the food of our ancestors. High-bicarbonate-yielding plant foods (green leafy vegetables, fruits, roots and tubers) in the ancestral diet have been replaced by too many cereal grains and energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods in the contemporary diet. All this is changing now though slowly with trends in health bringing us back to whole, alkaline-rich, organic foods from the land! The “Paleo Diet” (Caveman Diet) is taking centre stage again!
How can I become more alkaline? In order to become slightly more alkaline you need to choose foods and beverages from the alkaline list below.
1. Get into those superfood, “superkale”, green smoothies.
2. Take spirulina, wheatgrass and chlorella. You can find this in a combination formula in most health food shops or by taking Smart Cleanse Gut Lining Formula.
3. Eat a diet rich in calcium and magnesium and other minerals by consuming a wide variety of raw and steamed vegetables and dark-leafy greens.
4. Drink mineral-rich, alkalising Smart Cleanse Bentonite Drinking Clay.
5. Minimise acid forming toxins: caffeine, alcohol, sugar, processed grains, refined foods, chemicals, medications, and excessive stress.
6. Eat sea vegetables such as Japanese nori sheets, wakame, and arame.
7. Drink plenty of purified water and hot water in lemon in between meals.
Apart from eating more alkaline-producing foods and beverages and avoiding stress, another interesting, nature-enriching way to become more alkaline is to connect with the earth directly, because the earth is a negatively-charged electro-magnetic field (magnetic field that extends from the Earth’s inner core to a stream of energetic particles emanating from the sun).
In his book The SunfoodDiet Success System, David Wolfe suggests walking barefoot on the earth itself because it supplies our body with a natural negative electrical charge, which will then absorb the positive charge of being too acidic.
It pays to take your shoes off, go green and be alkaline!
July 9th 2014
Founder of Smart Cleanse
Director of Research & Development