Recipe: Keto Garlic Prawns Salad
If you are feeling like something absolutely delicious and still want to stick to your low carb keto plan, then this garlic prawn salad (complete with good fats!) will hit the spot. It’s loaded with nutrients to treat your taste buds as well as your body!
Tahini alone, for example, contains more protein than milk and most nuts. It's a rich source of B vitamins, which boost energy and brain function. It also contains plenty of vitamin E, which is protective against heart disease and stroke. Plus, it’s loaded with important minerals such as magnesium, iron, and calcium.
Lemon zest contains a list of vitamins, minerals, and fibres like calcium, potassium, and Vitamin C. Lemon peels also have some healthy enzymes in it to enhance digestion.
Avocados contain more potassium than bananas and are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, fibre, and can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. They are also low carb and will make you feel full. (They are delicious too!)
If you love garlic prawns and rich creamy dressings, then you will love this recipe. Give it a go!
Garlic Lemon Chili Mayonnaise
Makes 3/4 cup
This creamy garlic, ginger mayonnaise goes well with cooked prawns or fried chicken or just about any salad/protein combination.
- 1/2 cup organic soy mayo
- 2 tbpsn white hulled tahini
- 1 small red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbspn lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tbspn apple cider vinegar
- 1 tspn coconut sugar
- Pinch smoked sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1tspn tamari
- ¼ - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small food processor, combine all ingredients except for the extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix on high speed for 1 min and then slowly drizzle in the olive oil over a period of 2 minutes until mayo is light and fluffy.
- Process just until mixture reaches a loose mayonnaise consistency. If it curdles or becomes too thick, mix in hot water a little at a time, pulsing machine so as not to overmix.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon juice, salt, or pepper.
- Serve immediately, using a spoon to drizzle over salad, or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
Best served fresh, keeps for 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
Keto Garlic Prawns
Get your heat on with this delectable salad that will surely awaken your senses and tease those hungry taste buds! Hot shrimp with smooth avocado and crunchy cucumber, combined with a delicious ginger and garlic dressing? Yes please!
- 1 tbspn butter
- 1tbspn olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 280g green prawns, peeled but leave tails on
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 120g english spinach
- 142g cucumber, diced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 tbspns lime, juice
- 2 tbsp toasted hazelnuts, (optional)
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime and lemon wedges, to serve
- Place butter and olive oil into a hot frying pan
- Add garlic and fry for no more than 20 seconds
- Add green prawns cooking each side for 1 minute only
- Season with sea salt and black pepper
- In a bowl add english spinach, cucumber, avocado, lime juice, cooked garlic prawns
- Then drizzle the garlic, lemon, and chilli mayo all over the prawn salad
- Garnish with toasted hazelnuts and coriander
- Add some garlic prawn butter for added flavour, optional
- Decorate with lime and lemon wedges
Who would have thought that a salad could be so healthy, low carb, full of fat – burning good fats, that is. Enjoy!
Are shrimp good for weight loss?
Prawns provide nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin E, niacin and omega-3 fatty acids. Prawns are also low in saturated fat.
As long as you eat prawns in moderation and control the calorie content of the rest of your diet, you can eat prawns and lose weight. Luckily, prawns tend to be very low calories. One ounce contains only about 30 calories, but the high protein count means you’ll feel longer, faster while eating less.
Eating prawns may actually help lower your levels of triglycerides and “bad” LDL cholesterol.
So, to answer the question, yes. As long as you watch your calories and don’t go overboard, prawns can be an excellent way to lose or maintain weight.